Well here we are again. The holiday season is in full swing and I’m sure we are all doing some last minute shopping for the perfect gifts for our family and friends. I am proud to say that for the first time ever, I have completed my shopping and all of my gifts are wrapped, waiting for Santa to take them down the chimney. Wink wink! My kids have asked me, as they do every year, what I would like for Christmas this year and as always, I say: “Nothing. I don’t need anything.” Well, I had a talk with Santa and this year I think I would like to add a nice designer desk to my Christmas list. Both of my daughters work from home and they both have desks that serve them well and I would like to have one for myself! I’m embarrassed to let you know what I am working on now so I won’t. But a new desk for me… that’s not so much to ask for, right?
There are so many good-looking desks with so much style and storage. I would like to have a nice desk to work from when I am at home, working on client work or grading papers for my class. A desk that is not too masculine but not too feminine as well is important. As shown above, the Berkley Desk from Vanguard Furniture is a great choice. I love the streamlined geometric base complimented with the feminine drawer pulls. We purchase quite a bit of furniture from Vanguard for our clients and it always looks beautiful in every space. They provide high-quality furniture with many finish options. This desk gives the opportunity to select the base finish, top finish and drawer pulls. It is also available in two different sizes. It’s fabulous!
If a little more storage is needed, the Briarwood desk (shown below) is very nice as well. It also offers a metal base (Do you see a trend here?) and wood top, but it has a small filing cabinet on one side. The drawer fronts can be customized from a variety of selections available, and it is also available in different metal and wood finishes.
Another desk I would like to mention to Santa is the South Park Writing Desk from Hooker Furniture. It is more transitional in styling and has a great curved base. The desk has a washed gray finish with a lighter maple top that I think is interesting. It gives the desk a little contrast.Maybe I will find one of these desks next to my Christmas tree on Christmas morning!
With 2022 around the corner, so many of our new clients have asked for our help in freshening up their homes. We have been busy with bathroom and kitchen renovations lately and have had some great success with some good-looking renovations. We hope to do a photoshoot soon. Let’s take a look at a few items that will update your home.
- Paint – Always. Always, always, paint will be the easiest and least expensive way to update your space. A fresh new color can give new life to existing furnishings. A great white can make your space look clean and crisp. It’ll also let your existing colors pop and take center stage!
- New and updated window treatments are always a good idea. Gone are the days of swags and puddled draperies. Those styles have too much fuss and the puddles are too time-consuming to keep that “puddled” look. Clean lines are the name of the game. Drapery panels that hang straight with not a lot of fuss are the best solution. You can, of course, dress them up a bit with accent banding of beautiful trim, but the straight hanging panels are the key to a timeless look. We like to hang our window treatments about a third of the way down from the ceiling. The closer to the ceiling, the more grand your room will feel.
- Purge!!! I know it is hard to get rid of items that hold dear memories of years gone by. Believe me, I know. I still have old baby clothes and my girls are almost 23 years old! But we need to purge our old and outdated furniture and purchase something new and updated. Think of it as the furniture has served its purpose. It has paid for itself over and over in the past years and now it is time to start fresh by updating your space with a new piece of quality furniture. Keep in mind: furniture does not cost the same as it did 20 years ago, but it is an investment that will bring you happiness for many years to come.
- Another tip is to be mindful of what you really need to serve your needs. The trendy pieces are fun to look at for a little while, but then you may get tired of the quirkiness. I like to advise our clients to make quality purchases in classic styles that will last for many years and can be placed in just about any setting and still look good.
- My last tip is to keep your budget in mind. You will be even happier with your purchases when they fit your budget and you are not worrying if you spent too much or if they were the quality you wanted. Making good purchases on quality pieces is always best. We can help you with that of course.😉
So, when you’re ready to update your space, let your creative juices flow and remember to think of (& contact) us. Pamela Hope Designs is here to help. Stay safe and Happy Holidays everyone!